Fishing can be fun if you know what you’re doing, and with special fish like catfish, there are catfishing tips that will help you get a bigger catch than if you just went in without any information. Most of them are related to bait, timing, location and the fishing itself. Let’s get started:
1. The catfish bait has to be smelly. Catfish are led to their food by their sense of smell. It means that the regular bait you would use for normal fishing wont work. The smellier the bait, the more chances you have of catching a catfish. You can make bait at home if you know how (or you can look it up on the internet) or you can buy bait, but making is usually preferred because you use ingredients right out of your kitchen.
2. One of the greatest catfishing tips is the timing because if you don’t understand their behavior, you’ll never be there to catch them when they are out. They are shy creatures and will mostly forage in the evenings and very early in the mornings. Plan your trips around these times.
3. You need strong wire on your fishing rod – regular lines will probably cut because catfish can be big depending on where you’re fishing them from. In captivity, they will not grow as big as in the wild, so plan to change your lines to thicker ones so that reeling catch in is faster.
4. One of the best catfishing tips is that you have your best chances after it rains. Rain stirs things up, carries floating matter and since catfish will eat almost anything, they will come out in large numbers to eat once it has rained. Let your bait float along with the rest of the debris and you will soon have something to reel in.
5. Never stay in one spot too long. Some kind of fish require patience – just drop your rod into the water and wait, but not with catfish You need to move around every 20 minutes or so if you see that your chosen sot is not yielding anything. They hid too until they cannot resist the smell of the bait, so the closer you take it to them, the better.
6. Weather is a factor. The warmer the weather, the higher your chances of a catch. Summer can sometimes be too hot for them to come close to the surface, but spring and autumn weather are a perfect time to plan catfishing trips. Warmer weather will also release the smell of bait more readily so use it to your advantage.
7. Catfishing experts will tell you that one of the greatest catfishing tips is to keep a catfish off balance to catch it easily. Once it holds on to the bait, swing it horizontally, then dip it and make different motions until the hook catches. Once it’s horizontal on the water, take it out.
8. If you’re planning to go noodling, do it as a team. This way, you have back-up in case you catch a really big catfish.
9. Again, if you’re going noodling, expect some injuries. Carry along a first aid kit and have someone with you who knows how best to use it.
10. Lastly, carry a cold storage box – they make for great meals and are highly nutritious. You want to get them home fresh for cooking, so don’t leave them exposed in the sun.
These catfishing tips should help you as you start your catfishing expeditions. Its great fun, it’s a great way to have quiet time and explore nature and put a meal on the table at the same time.